Watches have always been a style essential, especially so for men. If we talk about men’s style, nothing combines fashion and function like a watch. Men’s watches and their styles are always spoken with so much devotion and interest and keep visiting twistedtime.com. If you speak about movement in watches, it not only means the sweeping action of the hands around the dials but also the internal functionality of the watches. With the advent of smartphones, it was believed that the watch had met it match and it would diminish in importance. However, one can say that watches are here to stay and that men’s watches have never been more bold, classy and fashionable all at once. We continue to see many styles and types in men’s watches. There are mainly three types of movements if we were to classify the watches based on it. They are Automatic, Mechanical and Quartz.
Mechanical: A mechanical watch’s movement is powered by a main spring. This spring is a metal coil that is wound by hand, typically about 9-13 inches and this allows for the second hand to move around the clock. What this means is that once it is completely wound, you must wind the clock again by hand for it start its process again. While this is the basis of a mechanical watch, its complexity and accuracy will depend on the craftsmanship and the attention to details.
There are both pros and cons with mechanical watches and it all depends on what you want and what catches your fancy as far as watches go.
• Concept: There is something wonderful about winding your clock to keep it alive and ticking! At the end of the day, you wind your clock and that makes you more conscious of the time.
• Smooth movement: The smooth movement of the second hand is more agreeable than the ticking sounds we are so used to hearing in a quartz watch.
• No battery: Battery changes are not required and therefore trips to the jeweler or store are saved.
• Winding: while some may find winding their clocks interesting, for others it maybe a nuisance and something they may forget to do.
• Intricate springs and gears make the mechanical clock work. Moisture, dust, magnets etc. can affect the performance of such watches. Everyday exposure to such elements can cause damage your watch and adversely affect its performance.
• With passage of time the accuracy of a mechanical clock diminishes and it needs to be taken to an expert to rewind or service it.
Automatic Movement Watches:
Automatic watches also function just as a mechanical watch would. The only difference here is that your movements during the day winds the mainsprings and keeps it functional. There is not necessity to hand wind the spring every day. There is a small rotor (weight) what is connected to the mainspring.
This weight moves with your movements and helps to wind up the watch. The pros:
• Battery changes are not required and hence that hassle if considered as one is saved.
• The automatic watches have classy looks and have the same kind of engineering that a mechanical watch has.
• Hand winding is not required here.
• These watches are equally sensitive to various factors such as dust, magnets and other outside forces.
• They are substantially expensive with the effort and craftsmanship required.
Most of the watches that are available in the market of this variety. The mainspring is controlled by a spark of electricity coming from a battery. This makes the watch extremely accurate and affordable at the same time. Here, the electricity is sent through a quartz crystal which vibrates and these vibrations are sent through a circuit which moves the second hand. It is because of this that there is no smooth movement of the hands like that of an automatic or mechanical watch.
• These watches are extremely accurate, rarely losing or gaining seconds in a day.
• They are very affordable, allowing anyone to own a good watch. There are however high-end varieties that are available in this category as well.
• They are durable and low on maintenance since the only cost you will incur are a change in the battery.
• The biggest con for these watches are that it lacks the charm of a traditional and handmade watch. There is a craftsmanship and engineering in every watch and that is severely lacking in these time pieces. While they can work as great accessories, if you are true watch lover, you are better off with a mechanical watch and enjoying the great work that someone put into the watch.